Wheels and where to get them.

Drivetrains, ECUs, brakes, lights, radiator, instruments, etc
bgkast
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Wheels and where to get them.

Postby bgkast » 28 Jan 2013, 21:27

Anybody have a source for the XXR 006s like Kurt is using? I'm having trouble even finding them in the correct size. I found them here, but the price seems a bit high: http://www.dnjwheels.com I also found them here, but can only find the rears in 18" http://www.sonicmotor.com/

Thanks

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 29 Jan 2013, 07:28

Wheels are fashion statements which come and go every week and is why I can't recommend any particular model, what's good today is out of production tomorrow. As was mentioned, there are several approaches:

1. The majority of Miata owners get along just fine with the current wheel choices - what's our problem?
2. Check 15" wheel sizes and see if the widths you want are available.
3. Switch to 5-lug hubs - though I do NOT know if they "drop right on" to first generation uprights. Also, just switching doesn't guaranty that there'll instantly be more wheel choices - check.
4. Though I'm repulsed by suggesting it, see what's available in 18". Yes I know... but the reality is that tire sizes continue to grow so either we adapt or are stuck choosing from skinny all-season tires...

Just do the best you can with wheel width and move on...

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 29 Jan 2013, 09:42

The difficulty I seem to be having is funding wide wheels with the correct bolt pattern and a "high" offset. 4x100 seems to be mostly a FWD pattern, and from what I'm seeing most wide wheels have a low offset to cater to the "hellaflush" crowd. Not saying they aren't out there, just not easy to find. I would like to avoid 15" due to the lack of performance street tires. Miatas, Elises and other RWD cars that share this bolt pattern don't seem to use much wider than 8" wheels. I guess another option is to use a narrower rear wheel with more of a gap between the body and tire.

I actually like the wheels you used Kurt. I'm thinking I will try to find and buy a set while I can. I may end up going with 18s in the rear, I guess it will give me equal sidewall heights. :P

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 31 Jan 2013, 14:05

How about these, XXR brand, #527, available in 8.25 and 9.75" in 17s, +25 mm offset, around $120 each on the street. http://www.xxrwheels.com/xxr_527.shtml

Just keep in mind that if the rear tires are any wider than 275s, they aren't going to fit under the fenders unless you widen them.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 01 Feb 2013, 13:44

How wide of wheels do you think will be necessary for 300ish hp? It seems like similar cars are running 8" wide wheels in the back and maybe a bit narrower in front. Thanks

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 04 Feb 2013, 22:25

Here is another wheel that will work: Team Dynamics pro race 1.2. US vendors here: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/ ... -race.html

And here: http://teamilluminata.com/Shop/TeamDyna ... namics.htm

Lotus elise wheels will work with a 20mm spacer in the rear (or no spacer if you can find them off of a rover powered car)

I1985

Postby I1985 » 09 Feb 2013, 14:13

bgkast wrote:How wide of wheels do you think will be necessary for 300ish hp? It seems like similar cars are running 8" wide wheels in the back and maybe a bit narrower in front. Thanks

How much experience do you have with lightweight sportscars? Just slabbing bigger tires on often won't make you go faster, or even provide more traction. There is an optimal tire width for every car. There is a reason lightweight sportscars often have fairly slim tires. Wide tires will only work on a heavy car, on a light car you even risk not getting any temperature in your tires and therefor much less grip then the normal ones would.

If you want really wide tires for the looks of it, or bragging rights, then by all means do. But you could safe yourself a fair amount of cash keeping it simple, your tire choice will be much easier aswell. And a lot more grip can be found in using the right tires/compounds then there is in their dimensions. Also note that most British locost builders prefer 13' rims. Although they might be a bit down on looks, they make up for it in ride quality and performance.

And please... don't compare your featherweight with heavy monsters like a Lamborghini or other supercars. They have double the horsepower and over 3 times the weight you'll probably be aiming for. And therefor need completely different tires.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 18 May 2013, 12:31

I was actually thinking of "slabbing" on narrower wheels than the prototype. ;)

Here is the list of wheels I found that have close to the correct offsets to work. I was mainly looking for smaller wheels than the ones on the prototype and using 1" smaller wheels on the front, but any wheels I came across that would work I tried to add to the list.

XXR 501 15x7 et 38 and 16x8 et 15 (these are what I ended up using)
Rota Grid 15x6.5 et 38 and 16x8 et 10
Rota Grid 16x7 et 40 and 17x8 et 20
Rota Titan 17x7.5 et 30 or 40 and 17x9 et 35
Rota torque 16x7 et 40 and 17x8 et 20 or 17x9 et 35
Rota RB 15x7 et 35 and 16x8 et 20
Enki Compe 15x7 et 38 and 16x8 et 25
Drag DR-16 15x7 et 40 and 16x8.25 et 25

Return to “Needed parts and where to get them”