Drivetrains, ECUs, brakes, lights, radiator, instruments, etc
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Holley Hydramat

Postby Midlana1 » 09 Mar 2015, 07:23

Prices are out, https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

After a lot of intial excitement on my part, I ended up going without, making due with baffles and several one-way flapper doors.

WickedOne

Re: Holley Hydramat

Postby WickedOne » 09 Mar 2015, 11:24

It's my understanding that the mat doesn't need to be covered with fuel, it only has to be touching the fuel. Is that your understanding too?

That stuff is expensive, but if what I think is true it might be worth the money on a turbo'd car as they are more sensitive to sudden lean issues.

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Holley Hydramat

Postby Midlana1 » 09 Mar 2015, 13:08

Yes, though all I have to go on is the video they showed. My point is that without baffling, the mat needs to cover most of the floor, else a partially-full tank could be out of the mat's "reach" in a hard-cornering situation, so some baffling may still be necessary.

Using Midlana's tank as an example, the floor is roughly 43" x 12". The closest mat size that fits is 15 x 8, available only in a cross pattern (see link below). That size leaves about 13" on each end of the tank out of reach of the mat, and depending upon fuel level and cornering force, it means potentially running out of fuel mid-corner. And because this particular mat is cross-shaped, corner exit will be even worse as the fuel moves to the back corner of the tank where mat coverage is worse.

I think it's an awesome innovation; I just feel that when you get right down to it, the lack of sizes means that (for now at least) it isn't a one-top solution. Maybe larger mats can be installed and either folder or cut, but they don't say whether that's doable.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/parts/16-101

Return to “Needed parts and where to get them”