Lotus Elise fuel tank

Drivetrains, ECUs, brakes, lights, radiator, instruments, etc
dpkilty
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Lotus Elise fuel tank

Postby dpkilty » 07 Jul 2014, 09:28

Kurt, I saw your post in the book section about using the Elise tank, and instead of mucking up that thread figured this would be a good place to continue the conversation...

You mention because of its smaller size the the book tank, it may not be best for use with ethanol. I agree with you there, as (like you said) ethanol requires about 30% more fuel to do the same amount of work. (for lack of a better phrase)

But it does have a plus side, the later generation of the Elise tank is a stainless steel tank which will work very well for ethanol. This puts us in a conundrum. Use a pre-built tank and have less range, or build ourselves and have to figure out all the in and outs to make it work right...
Another thing to think about is that word has it the Lotus tanks aren't the best things in high g, high speed, sweeping left hand corner's. Which really isn't a major problem as a swirl pot would fix this easy enough. Which brings us back to the capacity issue. If you build a swirl pot you could potentially get some of the "missing volume" back that you lost due to not using the book tank.

In any way I decided to try a Lotus tank, and am still very highly contemplating the use of ethanol for my build. I can live with the reduced range, as I would be able to switch maps from e85 to 93 if needed.

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 08 Jul 2014, 05:31

So here is a dumb question...

Since we are trying to use a Lotus tank would it also make sense to use the charcoal canister, fuel fill neck, level gauge and possibly the fuel pump. I was going to try and adapt a Subaru fuel pump housing to fit in the Lotus tank so it makes my life easier when it comes to wiring. The charcoal canister I can pick up off ebay. There is already a fuel fill tube on the tank, it just needs the part you actually put the gas pump into (since it has the "check" valve flapper and an overflow provision) if that is really needed. So really the only "major" thing on the list is to figure out how the gauge reads... Is it part of the fuel pump housing or is there something else that mounts in the tank?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 08 Jul 2014, 07:04

I'm fairly sure that the charcoal canister needs solenoids to gate fumes into and out of it via commands from the ECU. My point is that if you really want to go that way you need more of the bits, and some way of operating the solenoids via your own ECU. I've never thought through how the system works, and it might actually be pretty simple.

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 08 Jul 2014, 07:11

Good point.

I might be better off using all Subaru charcoal canisters and such then if that is the case. I will need to see if I can get some wiring diagrams from a Lotus forum and dig a little deeper. Maybe that will tell me more about the fuel level sensor as well.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » 08 Jul 2014, 11:44

I binned the canister, there is a solenoid which is tucked under the manifold on the ej20's just disconnect the pipes though leave it wired up then the fault codes won't show on the ECU.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 08 Jul 2014, 17:01

I am planning to use the miata filler neck connected to the lotus fill tube and fill vent. The miata neck is quite a bit larger diameter than the Lotus filler so there will need to be some sort of reducer used. My SRT-4 fuel pump housing is too large for the Lotus tank, so I am debating if I want to use a lotus fuel pump/sender module or to make a DIY pump/vent/fuel sender that fits the Lotus opening. Either way I will need to mess with the engine's fuel system because the SRT-4 used a returnless fuel system.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 08 Jul 2014, 18:20

bgkast wrote:... Either way I will need to mess with the engine's fuel system because the SRT-4 used a returnless fuel system.

That's easy to deal with if you choose. Just buy or make a fuel rail with a return hose, adding a fuel pressure regulator between the fuel rail and tank. It's very straightforward if you choose to go that way and gives you the ability to adjust fuel pressure on the fly.

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 21 Jul 2014, 19:41

Would it be beneficial for anyone if I draw up prints of the Lotus tank I have? They may not be 100% dead nuts accurate since I am not going to take it apart, but maybe someone will want the info?

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 23 Jul 2014, 04:57

I'm almost convinced I'll be building my own, so thanks for the generous offer, you don't need to spend the time on my count :)

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 23 Jul 2014, 10:52

Not a problem.

I am just thinking people may want drawings to compare and contrast between the book tank and the lotus tank.

Then again I may be over thinking it like normal... :lol:

Return to “Needed parts and where to get them”