Fuel tank: Miata parts and construction material

Drivetrains, ECUs, brakes, lights, radiator, instruments, etc
bgkast
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Fuel tank: Miata parts and construction material

Postby bgkast » 13 Dec 2013, 08:53

I was looking at the filler neck I grabbed from a Miata at the junkyard and don't see the ball check valve assembly described in the book. The part I have is 42-241 in the diagram:

I also found this image showing a rollover vent valve, is that part needed too?

Regarding the fuel tank material, stainless and aluminum are discussed in the book, but steel is not. Is there a reason not to make a steel fuel tank? It seems to work fine for many major auto manufacturers, and would be easier to work with for those who don't have a TIG welder.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Fuel tank: Miata parts and construction material

Postby Midlana1 » 13 Dec 2013, 09:55

Huh, the ball-valve thing was a plastic cage assembly... I want to say it came as part of what was aledgedly an early '90s Miata. It "may" be part of assembly 42-210 in your drawing, but might not be called out separate?

True, kinda skipped over steel. It's whatever your comfortable with - that's the driving factor.

Interesting, i didn't know that those parts were the roll-over vent assembly. I used both pieces, but had to take the spring out of the large part because it was preventing the tank from venting normally. That became obvious when I'd remove the cap and get a big "whoosh" out of the filler cap. So I removed the spring that kept the valve shut, counting on the weight of the fuel to shut the valve if I go upside down.

BTW, you'll still need a switch that triggers on a crash or the car going upside down, to shut off the fuel pump.

bgkast

Re: Fuel tank: Miata parts and construction material

Postby bgkast » 13 Dec 2013, 11:30

Huh, I'm not sure what year my parts came from, but it was a na miata. I think 42-210 is a ring to sandwich the body panel between the filler neck and the ring. My filler tube has the flap where you insert the fuel nozzle, maybe it serves a similar purpose in a roll over.

Return to “Needed parts and where to get them”