Seats, seatbelts, and mounts

Drivetrains, ECUs, brakes, lights, radiator, instruments, etc
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Seats, seatbelts, and mounts

Postby Midlana1 » 06 Jan 2009, 06:13

Space available: 42" total width at the shoulders, 42" at the base, and 37" at the front-most top edge of the seats. This is total width so cut that in half, and try to leave 3"+ between the seats for the center tunnel. The more space you can afford here the easier it'll be to bolt in the belts, move the seat mounts, etc. Absolute minimum (zero clearance) is 1.625" but it'll be a bitch to get down in there if you butt them up against the tunnel sides.

In my opinion you must sit in any seat that you're considering instead of blindly purchasing it. For the passenger seat it's not quite so important since presumably it'll be slightly oversize to fit different people - or not.

Second only to the drivetrain, the driver is the heaviest "component" so the seats sit on the floor and the cage height reflects this. If you want to sit higher the cage tubes may need to be raised. The seats can be reclined to a point but must not extent into the bulkhead panel area.

Probably the biggest issue won't be with the seat itself but the shoulder bolster width - they typically stick out a lot further that the seat itself. One plus of aluminum seats is that if they're a bit too wide you can bend them to suit.

I have a snug-fitting Ultrashield driver's seat and a bigger passenger seat and they completely fill the given width. The shoulder bolsters touch the tubes on the outside and touch each other on the inside. However, one seat can be moved forward or back relative the other to aid clearance. Also consider that some seats - like aluminum road-racing units - hug your ribs which means your arms hang outside the seat frame below the bolsters. On the outsides of the chassis there's arm room due to how the door-diagonal tube runs. On the inside it depends how, um, large you and the passenger are and if the seats are offset as to whether your elbows will interfer with each other.

I suggest placing the seats as far outboard as possible, especially if the driver has a wild driving style of elbows flailing this way and that!

Seat mounts:
Haven't figured this out yet. The assumption is that they'll be simple 0.125" bent aluminum brackets that bolt to the floor tubes (not the floor panel!) and to the sides of the seat. Multiple holes will handle different seating positions. If aftermarket seat mounts are contemplated, be aware many raise the seat which may put your head too close to the cage tubes and violating SCCA rules and being unsafe in general.

ekim952522000
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Seat belts

Postby ekim952522000 » 20 Feb 2009, 20:54

What harnesses/seat belts are you guys thinking of running.

This company Schrotch claims there four point belts are DOT approved and have a special ASM system to stop submarining. Not sure how I feel about it but they do make some of the best racing harnesses.

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/T ... llye-cross

I think I am still going to go with a 5 point harness though but they are a option.
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Belts.

Postby Midlana1 » 20 Feb 2009, 22:36

Not sure yet. Rumor is that FIA-approved belts are good for 5-years as opposed to the NASA and SCCA two-year limit. Of course, how many of us plan on running the cars in those events?

[rant]
The whole seatbelt fiasco really ticks me off. Remember the old days where they'd last for years and years? Then Earnhart died and suddenly seatbelts were crap? The question no one's ever answered is: Why is it that OEM seatbelts are good for decades, while "real" seatbelts made for racing are only good for two years? So let's see, the next time someone famous dies due to a seatbelt issue, are they going to lower the lifetime to what, six months? Two weeks?

Also, they don't even factor in if the belts are being exposed to the sun or not. Hell, if you are unfortunate to keep them in your freezer for two years, they're as good as trash, same as another guy who leaves them sitting out in desert weather for two years. Yeah that makes perfect sense.

Individual responsibility has died thanks to lawyers, which makes me wonder why I'm publishing car plans at all..........
[/rant]

I plan on going at least 5-point if not six. And I had a cam-type release jam on me one time in the store as I was messing with it - scared the crap out of me - I'll never ever buy one. I'll get the ratchet time every time.

ekim952522000

Seats

Postby ekim952522000 » 23 Feb 2009, 20:53

I am most likely going to go with these seats.

Only 205$ a piece + 102$ for the covers and they are pretty comfy my friend has them.

Also I like that they don't have shoulder wings so I don't have to worry about them touching in the skinny car.

But I might go with this seat for the driver and the other for the passenger.

Wow I never relized how many choices there could be when you are picking out every part on a car.

What seats is everyone else thinking of using?
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Seats

Postby Midlana1 » 23 Feb 2009, 21:01

ekim952522000 wrote:Wow I never relized how many choices there could be when you are picking out every part on a car.

LOL, yes the choices can drive you nuts, in a good way. Kind of like going back and forth between the red and the black Ferrari... it's so hard to choose.

ekim952522000

Re: Seats, seatbelts, and mounts

Postby ekim952522000 » 09 Mar 2009, 10:03

Buying seats today, Kurt what width driver and passenger seat did you buy from ultra shield I see they offer them from 15-18". I am just curious so I can get a idea how they are going to fit.
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 09 Mar 2009, 10:41

Doesn't matter what I bought, they have to fit you. I have a 16" driver's seat and 17" (I think) passenger seat. I had the driver's seat custom made, so it may be closer to 15.5".

ekim952522000

Postby ekim952522000 » 09 Mar 2009, 11:01

Midlana1 wrote:Doesn't matter what I bought, they have to fit you. I have a 16" driver's seat and 17" (I think) passenger seat. I had the driver's seat custom made, so it may be closer to 15.5".

I am going to be ordering two 17's I was just curious so I could see looking at your pictures about how much less room I would have than you.
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 09 Mar 2009, 11:05

Oh... I can measure the passenger seat when I get home if you want.

ekim952522000

Postby ekim952522000 » 09 Mar 2009, 11:30

Midlana1 wrote:Oh... I can measure the passenger seat when I get home if you want.

Not a real big deal I will order the two 17's given the measurements above that should give me 3" between at the leading edge.
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Return to “Needed parts and where to get them”