Parts list and suppliers

Drivetrains, ECUs, brakes, lights, radiator, instruments, etc
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Parts list and suppliers

Postby Midlana1 » 12 Feb 2010, 14:10

jerelw wrote:Re: the steering rack. If you look in the techical information section at FlyinMiata, they have instructions on how to depower a Miata steering rack.

Yes I know about that but came up with my own process. This way I'm not referencing someone else's work, plus if their site goes away, I won't be affected by it.

Poboy

Postby Poboy » 12 Feb 2010, 14:41

Midlana1 wrote:Midlana is designed so that no machining is necessary; you won't need any lathe or mill-work, though a drill-press is a big help. I'm assuming you'll handle the cutting, drilling, and welding.

I meant things like the axles (that were mentioned). I've been reading the build diary and saw you have to make headers and shift cables, I was wondering if there was more than those parts, stuff you couldn't get from a donor.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 12 Feb 2010, 14:46

Oh, okay, yes, you're correct. The axles are purchased, though there's not a lot that I can specify. That is, the outer end you already know has to be Miata, while the inner end has to mate with your chosed drivetrain. It's up to you to determine the proper length, though the shops that sell them make that easy. That is, all they ask is something like, "Tell us the distance from the outer flange to the inner flange" - that's it.

Regarding push-pull cables, if the donor parts don't work out, yes, aftermarket cables are used. I'll give lengths, though again, it'll depend on what the drivetrain is and where exactly the shifter's mounted. Much like the axles, it's just a matter of measuring where the ends need to be and ordering that needed length.

About the header, you may very well be able to use the OEM upper exhaust manifold, then just make a custom lower part. That's about 100x easier and cheaper than making the entire header. I made my own because I'm using a twin-scroll turbo and didn't want to pay someone to do it.

Karlo

Postby Karlo » 17 Apr 2010, 14:09

Here is a pic that suppose to be a Curtis nose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.KitSpeed.com

JackMcCornack

Postby JackMcCornack » 19 Jan 2011, 19:38

Midlana1 wrote:Turns out that the fenders sold by Kinetic Vehicles (also sells the nose) are actually produced by Curtis Unlimited (no website), at 707-443-8523. Kinetic stocks them due to Curtis taking a long time to make them, so it's actually more likely that Kinetic will have them.
Huh? No, the nose and fenders Kurt is using on Midlana (called Catfish nose and Steamroller fenders on the kineticvehicles.com web site) are parts I tooled personally, molds I own, and are fabbed for us by a commercial fiberglass company. I do use Curtis a lot as a source of fenders (Lotus Seven clamshell replicas, for example) so I can see where the rumor came from, but nope, they're Kinetic through and through.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 20 Jan 2011, 06:44

Crap, sorry, Jack, for passing on non-facts. I've edited my original post.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 26 Jan 2013, 14:46

So just to confirm you used 44mm offset 7" wide front wheels and 35mm offset 9" wide rears? Also it looks like the 240sx has a 4x114 bolt pattern, did the wheels you used happened to be drilled for both bolt patterns? Thanks!

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 26 Jan 2013, 17:15

I used a 7" front wheel with a +40 mm offset and a 9" rear wheel with a +35 mm offset. However, the offset very much depends on tire width. The offsets above work with the widest tires but if you use narrower tires then you have more leeway. Obviously at the front it doesn't matter as much since there's no bodywork to interfer with.

Early Miata hubs are 4 x 100 mm. I did not realize that the Nissan 240SX spec was 4 x 114.3 mm! Noted in the book!

To answer your question, yes, the particular wheels I have have both 4 x 100mm and 4 x 114.3 mm patterns.

There's another thread on here about this very topic and in it the following were offered up http://www.rotawheels.com/wheel.php?id=111

Angrypotatoe

Postby Angrypotatoe » 01 Mar 2017, 15:09

I usually order my parts from ebay, but have stumbled upon a new miata part vendor. Planet miata in the us has very competitive rates. Although my parts arrived greasy, I am able to spend very little on midlana parts (so elbow grease is something I'm very familiar with). I received a power steering rack, gas fill tube, intermediate shaft, and full steering column (with a key!) For 100$ shipped aprox. 1300 miles. Just thought since I had a good experience I should tell you all.

Return to “Needed parts and where to get them”