Video series on Midlana design

Post up your well-deserved pictures and self-congratulatory videos.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Video series on Midlana design

Post by Midlana1 » 16 May 2019, 10:05

I'm thinking about making some Youtube videos on various aspects of the Midlana design. Maybe something on the order of an introduction, followed by various subsystems, but at this point it's only at the thinking-it-over stage. It will happen in some form though, as gear is being collected to make decent quality videos. The hope is that this will be helpful to people on the fence about building Midlana and could serve as helping that decision along. I guess it would end up being something of a video version of the book, without all the dimensional detail of course.

My concerns include: sounding dumb, too many "uhs" and "ums"; looking dumb (not much to be done there); and poor production quality. At the same time, everyone has to start somewhere, so I just have to make myself do it. As an aside, I've been watching YouTube videos made by "This Old Tony", and he does a really good job with every aspect of production, including sound, lighting, content, and of course, entertainment.

Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions for something specific, let me know here.

HydroJim

Re: Video series on Midlana design

Post by HydroJim » 16 May 2019, 11:59

I'd be interested in hearing more about picking spring rates and all the tradeoffs associated with different rates.

rennkafer

Re: Video series on Midlana design

Post by rennkafer » 18 May 2019, 07:58

TOT is certainly a goal to shoot for Kurt, his videos are among the best and I watch a fair number of machinist related channels on there (and am in the process of starting my own as well). Referencing that last, I always think I sound sort of dumb... I think that 1) practice will make some of the uh's and um's go away if I work at it and I'll sound more polished, and 2) we just talk like we talk and there's some acceptance of how you are needed. We're not professional speakers and you can even see some evolution in TOT's videos in that regard.

I say go for it and consider your editing and speaking a learning experience that will improve with time and use. Just like the skills you used to build Midlana and Kimini in the first place.
Bill J