GoPro alternatives

Post up your well-deserved pictures and self-congratulatory videos.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

GoPro alternatives

Postby Midlana1 » 02 Dec 2017, 17:05

I'll add more later but my brother got so fed up with his (3 or 4, can't remember) that he went with the Sony action cam and has zero regrets. It's got both mechanical and electronic image-stabilization which works very well ( I'll add a link to his Virgina Hill climb video). What's most important to him though is that it just works - every time. I've had similar experiences with my -4. When it works it's fine, but its unexplained dropouts, resets, restarts, and even acting like it's totally dead... Yeah, if I was doing it again I'd get the Sony as well.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Re: GoPro alternatives

Postby freakynami » 02 Dec 2017, 23:59

I recently set up four action cams all over our search and rescue challenger 604, one on the wingtip looking back at the cargo door (we were carrying out drop trials of liferafts etc.), one on the engine pylon looking down, one on the rear strake, looking forward, and one inside to watch the drop crew.

I had a sony tablet set up with a wi-fi extender and could see all four cameras from the loadmaster seat in the cabin, watch the drops and verify clean clearance. From the tablet you can also stop/start all four cameras at the same time, or individually. You can even stream over the 4G (not at 200kts though!)

Long story short, I researched and had a play with our go-pros, and found way too many issues to risk a mission critical aspect of our work. The sony's had issues of their own, but more related to our operational situation with extended recording duration beyond two hours (flat battery) and the tablet being inside a faraday cage of sorts, so the wi-fi was a bit flakey. Out of interest, I trialled using a USB power bank and sucessfully achieved beyond 10hrs recording with no dropouts. They work great with a single camera connected directly to a smartphone too - works straight out of the box with almost zero setup. I fecked around with the go-pro for days and couldn't get it working consistently or reliably.

Here's a sample - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianMaritimeSafetyAuthority/videos/1374438475905390/

We were running 200fps I think (?) to get the slo-mo.

TL-DR - I highly recommend the Sony!

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 03 Dec 2017, 16:29

Here's my brother's video, recorded with the Sony. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRSdLWVrpMc

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 14 Mar 2018, 12:42

Finally got fed up with GoPro, stopped complaining, and ordered the Sony HDR-AS300. Couldn't justify the extra expense of the 4K model, nor the wrist-mounted remote. Guess that means I need to be making videos again. Going to have to pick some video editor now, assuming Sony doesn't include something.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 14 Mar 2018, 15:04

After I placed the order, I noticed that only the 4K X3000 model lists having GPS, which is nice because it can be overlaid onto the videos. Alas, the AS300 I ordered doesn't mention having GPS, a bummer, then noticed that the user manual covers both versions, so fingers crossed! http://helpguide.sony.net/cam/1640/v1/en/print.pdf

Psion97

Postby Psion97 » 04 Jul 2018, 05:38

Recently bought a TomTom Bandit action cam. Love its picture and video quality. It's a lot heavier than the GoPro though.

Return to “Videos and pictures”