Car Building Books or Books in General

The Midlana book, and links to other books and cool sites.
stankoprowski
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Car Building Books or Books in General

Postby stankoprowski » 03 Aug 2012, 09:14

Kurt,

I notice on Amazon U.S. that " Build Your Own Single-Seater: On a Budget" by Mr. Chris Gibbs has had it's publishing date moved to 01AUG14. This book has been moving forward and back for a year or so. What is it in the writing/publishing business that causes publishing dates to move so grossly. My background is engineering and I understand +/- a month or so. Mostly +. I can imagine life altering events that might stall or cancel a project but I'm having a hard time understanding changes in years for an ongoing project. As an author of similar books can you shed any light on this aspect of the writing/publishing business?

Thanks,

Stan

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Car Building Books or Books in General

Postby Midlana1 » 03 Aug 2012, 11:07

I imagine that it's a combination of the two. On the author's side you have all the reasons that you mentioned, basically, life getting in the way. On the publishers side they're all about money, so they may move the release date around in order to maximize profits (you know, like releasing a child's Christmas story in Oct instead of January.) As for why they'd move it years one way or the other, I guess it could be first thinking that it may not sell well so they push it off. Then if someone else gets in charge who's a gearhead, maybe he thinks the market is great and it should go out soon.

Printed media is in a tough spot now, pushed into the corner by the economy and the ever-advancing tide of eBooks. As some point I'll make that transition, though this book in particular seems to "want" to be on paper so that it can be referenced in the garage during the actual build. That, and the fear of it getting hacked and appearing on the web free. Of course, that's one way to avoid liability, isn't it? Offer it for free and ask that people donate what they think it's worth, but I digress...

stankoprowski
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Re: Car Building Books or Books in General

Postby stankoprowski » 03 Dec 2013, 07:54

I just finished reading "Design and Build a Sports Car" by Stuart Mills ISBN 9780957645004. The guy owns Mills Extreme Vehicles (MEV) which appears to be a successful kit car company. You should consider saving your money. The How-To part doesn't provide information to do much of anything. If you fancy becoming a manufacturer the chapters on Finance and Budgeting, Marketing and Protecting your Design while not overly informative are at least thought provoking.

Stan

Return to “Books, references, and useful links”