Competition car suspension

The Midlana book, and links to other books and cool sites.
ekim952522000
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Competition car suspension

Postby ekim952522000 » 08 Jan 2009, 09:21

Does anyone know where to buy this book for less than $130? I looked on amazon and that is what used copys are going for.
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Competetin car suspension

Postby Midlana1 » 08 Jan 2009, 09:27

I'll sell you mine for $129 ;)

Just buy one of his later books. He tends to put much or all of his old information into his newer books.

pw8penguins

Postby pw8penguins » 09 Jan 2009, 06:02

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ekim952522000
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby ekim952522000 » 09 Jan 2009, 07:45

Thank you I have that book but did not find it near as useful as the race and rally car source book. So was hoping the third edition would be better. The fourth edition seems to mostly deal with the history of suspension.
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

isaac

Postby isaac » 11 Jan 2009, 21:48

ekim952522000 wrote:Thank you I have that book but did not find it near as useful as the race and rally car source book. So was hoping the third edition would be better. The fourth edition seems to mostly deal with the history of suspension.

agreed, im about half way through and was beginning to wonder if it was just me thinking it wasnt worth the money... :cry:

now im just looking forward to race car dynamics :D

anyone read the "race and rally car source book" and can you say whether it covers suspension design as a whole regarding where to design pickup points, angles, lengths etc?

cheers-
-isaac-

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 12 Jan 2009, 06:23

isaac wrote:anyone read the "race and rally car source book" and can you say whether it covers suspension design as a whole regarding where to design pickup points, angles, lengths etc?

Yes it does; I probably learned more from that book than any other.

However, no book will flat-out tell you where to put the pick-up points, including RCVD; the books all say "doing more of that tends to do this." Like Staniforth said, or it might have been me, "Picture suspension design as a triangle. In one corner you have perfect camber control. In the second corner you have the tires perfectly upright under acceleration and braking, and in the last corner you have no scrub. Pick your spot on the triangle."

Staniforth says that the upper arm will be about 2/3 the length of the lower arm with a downward angle "somewhat more than the lower arm", and the lower arm has a slight upward angle toward the chassis. Longer arms are better.

There are no magic values. For example, if you're building a true race car with downforce, all the above "rules" go out the window.

janisz

Re: Competition car suspension

Postby janisz » 25 Oct 2009, 13:49

Couldn't find a suitable topic for this, so I put it here - was googling around for dimensions for ariel atoms suspension pickup points and found this by accident - http://www.racingaspirations.com/?p=286 , a quite nice graphical tool for modeling suspension, might be helpful to someone like myself, who needs to "see" those things moving to understand "what happens if" :)

Return to “Books, references, and useful links”